- The industry directly employs more than two million people worldwide, with a further two million contractors and four million people in supporting industries.
- Considering steel’s position as the key product supplier to industries such as automotive, construction, transport, power and machine goods, and using a multiplier of 25:1, the steel industry is at the source of employment for more than 50 million people.
- World crude steel production has increased from 851 megatonnes (Mt) in 2001 to 1,607 Mt for the year 2013. (It was 28.3 Mt in 1900).
- World average steel use per capita has steadily increased from 150 kg in 2001 to 217 kg in 2012.
- India, Brazil, South Korea and Turkey have all entered the top ten steel producers list in the past 40 years.Source: World Steel Association
- Elle T. // SMC Editor